Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Shacklesville

i'm not sure where i'm going with this post, so bear with me as if i ramble and meander. i've been out of school about 15 years and in that time i've worked for small, medium, and large companies. the one i work for now is global and has about 8,500 employees. the reason i mention this is that i consider it a big company even though we don't have tens of thousands of staff.

anyhoosa, maybe it's the time of the year. maybe it's the deep freeze it seems like we're in, which is contrary to the past few years when the weather has been downright mild. i'm not really sure. but as we get closer to the weekend, people start saying things like, "friday can't get here soon enough" and once monday hits, there's the constant lament that "the weekend was too short." i know, i know--i'm not telling or sharing anything you haven't heard before.

the thing is, and i realized this the other day (remember, i'm s-l-o-w), but my life isn't really my own. i belong to the company i work for. the only real time i have is the weekends and the evenings. the rest of my life, the stuff i work on and do, is dictated by others. and while there are aspects of my job i do like, a lot of days i do a lot of tedious, monotonous work. and i feel every bit the lowly peon that i am.

and yes, i get an okay salary. i actually make less than the adorable one, even though i have both my undergraduate and graduate degrees. not that it matters, as it all goes into the same pot. it's just the principal of the matter for me. but we do alright for double-income, no kids (dinks).

but the more i make the mistake of reading crack weekly, or people (online), i see all these people that aren't shackled to a regular routine or schedule. maybe it's me. maybe i buy into the hype that all celebrities do is shop, eat out, vacation, etc. and it's not that i want to be famous or a celebrity or any of that.

i just want more time that belongs to me. but i don't think that's the case. i think the hard reality that i get two weeks of vacation a year has finally and sadly sunk in. don't ask me why i just figured this all out. i think i always had more to look forward to, or more going on in my life, or more of something.

but i feel like i'm stuck in a job that has no future, that the company i work for owns me, and that there is less and less time for me. what's a girl to do? that's what i want to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home